Hyatt Executive Chef in BIG SUR, California
A hallmark of the ALiLA brand is that every resort is deeply and uniquely of its place. For Ventana, that place is Big Sur, along California’s Central Coast, within a 45-minute drive of Monterey. The locale and the property are defined for its pristine, untouched natural surroundings along coastal seaside terrain.
ALiLA Ventana features a restaurant serving classic California cuisine inspired by the local bounty and produce of the Central Coast. The offerings extend throughout this historic property with three main outlets. From both a full-service restaurant and a central commissary exclusively for resort guests to a roadside smokehouse available to all, the opportunity to showcase the best of what the region has to offer is boundless.
At AliLA, a Hyatt brand, we believe our guests select us because of our caring and attentive colleagues who are focused on providing efficient service and meaningful experiences. The Executive Chef is a highly visible role with exposure to Senior and Corporate leadership.
Maintaining and contributing to a positive work environment, the Executive Chef will be responsible for kitchen operations including menu planning, provisioning, food preparation, and sanitation. This position directs the training of culinary staff and other kitchen colleagues who engage in preparing and cooking foods to ensure an efficient and profitable food service. The position demands creativity on a daily basis, excellent communication skills, and the ability to maintain the highest of culinary standards. The Executive Chef works well under pressure, is organized, flexible, self-motivated and is willing to work long hours.
Responsibilities and Duties
Hire, train, supervise, schedule and participate in activities of chefs, cooks and other personnel involved in preparing, cooking and presenting food in accordance with productivity standards, cost controls and forecast needs. In-depth hands-on participation required.
Listen actively and communicate clearly while interacting with customers to promote food products and directing staff activities
Analyze feedback from guests and employees, make judgments and take action to implement suggestions for improvement
Maintain working rapport with all hotel staff for efficient operation and service to customers.
Instill, energize and promote company philosophy and standards with the team by holding daily line ups.
Organize and conduct meetings including monthly departmental meetings.
Monitor staff performance, product quality and production flow; foster improvement where necessary.
Create, implement and cost-out new menus and individual menu items for all outlets.
Audit food storeroom items and storage to maintain consistent quality products to ensure adherence to all health code requirements.
Enforce safety procedures and cleanliness throughout kitchen including walk-in and reach-in boxes.
Maintain time and payroll records. Adhering to local labour practices as well as managing the labour component through appropriate scheduling, operational efficiencies as well as recruitment and retention of colleagues.
Ensure cleanliness and organization of the kitchen and Food & Beverage areas.
Report any equipment in need of repair to Engineering for service via HotSOS.
Ensure comprehensive and working knowledge of the Department’s Profit & Loss statement.
Comply with and implement all Performance Excellence Initiatives as identified in Performance Excellence Planning and hotel Leader Committee
Ensure comprehensive knowledge of Departmental Customer Satisfaction Survey/ HySat scores and communicate all scores to employees in the department.
Participate lead and adjust with Colleague Pulse Survey
Coach and counsel colleagues to reflect Hyatt service standards and procedures
• Previous Executive Chef in a 5-star resort
• Minimum 2 years in an Executive Chef role required, 4 years preferred
• Fine dining restaurant experience with classical cooking technique required
• Experience in menu development, product sourcing, menu costing
• Experience programming, coordinating and executing banquets,as well as managing multiple outlets.
• Ability to communicate in English with guests, co-workers and management to their understanding
• Demonstrated ability to effectively interact with people of diverse socioeconomic, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds
• Service oriented style with professional presentations skills
• Proven leadership skills
• Must possess the following strengths: high energy, entrepreneurial spirit, motivational leader, proven track record in high volume property, effective communicator, effective in providing exceptional customer service and associate relations, and ability to improve the bottom line
• Must have a commitment to quality and safety controls and assurances
• Food handling certificate,
• Knowledge of food cost controls
• Must be proficient in Microsoft Word and Excel
• Must have excellent organizational, interpersonal and administrative skills
• Maintain communications with Corporate Staff
• Must coach and counsel colleagues to reflect Hyatt Service Standards and Procedures
• Sanitation Certificate.
• HAACP Certification
• Ability to communicate in multiple languages
• CPR certification and/or First Aid Training
• Experience producing American barbeque
• Experiencing living in a remote location
Specific job knowledge, skill and ability
The individual must possess the following knowledge, skills and abilities and be able to explain and demonstrate that he or she can perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation, using some other combination of skills and abilities.
• Ability to perform job functions with attention to detail, speed and accuracy.
• Ability to prioritize, organize, delegate work and follow through with assigned tasks
• Ability to be a clear thinker, remain calm and resolve problems using good judgment.
• Ability to handle multiple tasks at one time while maintaining a high level of professionalism.
• Ability to work well with others in a team environment.
• Contribute to the growth and success of the team.
• Considerable knowledge of mathematical skills (addition, subtraction, multiplication and division)
• Extensive knowledge of menu development, insight to marketing, cost and wage control.
• Ability to analyze, forecast data and make judgments to ensure proper payroll and production control.
• Ability to supervise staff and accomplish goals on timely basis.
• Ability to conduct meeting and maintain communication lines between line staff Director of Outlets.
• Ability to stand, walk and/or sit continuously to perform essential functions for an extended period of time.
• Ability to effectively deal with internal and external customers some of whom will require high levels of patience, tact and diplomacy.
• Ability to collect accurate information to resolve conflicts.
Primary Location: US-CA-Big Sur
Organization: Ventana Big Sur, An Alila Resort
Pay Basis: Yearly
Job Level: Full-time
Req ID: BIG000337
Hyatt is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, age, religion, disability, veteran status, genetic information, citizenship status or any other group protected by law.