Hyatt Director of Design and Planning in CHICAGO, Illinois
The Director of Design & Planning will be responsible for the execution of design and technical services as part of the Americas Design Services department. This team oversees the design of all new construction and renovation projects throughout the Americas, across the portfolio of Hyatt’s full-service hotel brands.
The Director of Design & Planning will facilitate and support the implementation of Hyatt technical standards and brand objectives through a focus on superior design strategies and solutions, with a brand led, purpose driven philosophy.
- Design guidance throughout the Americas on multiple, concurrent full service hotel projects, both new construction and renovation
- Interface with owners, development companies, architects, interior designers, planning consultants, contractors, and public agencies in a collaborative, team-focused manner that adds value to projects and relationships
- Provide design direction, ensure adherence to brand standards, and advise/assist external architecture, design and engineering consultant teams from initial space planning and concept development through all phases of design
- Prioritize project design goals to align with scope of project and budget in a strongly client-oriented manner
- Collaborate with project teams including owners, design consultants, and Hyatt internal Operations teams during the entire hotel design process to facilitate and implement Hyatt brand concepts and standards
- Provide regular and contractual reviews for milestone design packages and provide Hyatt approval and/or comments.
- Review design consultant submitted drawings, interior design concepts, finishes and specifications.
- Coordinate project input from internal partner Operations teams.
- Support Hyatt Development team including pre-design project review and planning, area programs, property improvement plans (PIPs).
- Execute and operationalize brand concepts.
- Implement relevant regional and local brand design interpretations.
- Support brand clarity goals in collaboration with Corporate Brand teams for all full-service brands
- Assist with CapEx planning, design review, project data tracking and reporting.
- Focus on learning and development – hospitality industry knowledge, best and current practices
- Demonstrate a commitment to Hyatt core values. The position responsibilities outlined above are in no way to be construed as all encompassing. Other duties, responsibilities, and qualifications may be required and/or assigned as necessary.
Experience * Minimum 7 years’ post-graduate experience in an Architectural field, with strong familiarity with all phases and aspects of the project design process. * Hospitality, high-end residential and/or retail experience required. * Client facing experience.
Education * Architectural Design Degree – Bachelor or Master of Architecture or foreign equivalent
Computer Skills * AutoCAD, Microsoft Office skills required * Bluebeam Revu skills preferred
Additional Comments and Requirements
* Possess excellent verbal, written and graphic communication skills
* Ability to leverage past experience within the design industry to knowledgably and credibly collaborate with owners, developers, project managers and design consultants on a wide range of topics relevant to hotel design and construction * Flexibility to handle changing circumstances
* Must be available for frequent travel both domestically and abroad * English fluency is required
* Spanish and/or Portuguese proficiency a plus
Primary Location: US-IL-Chicago
Organization: Hyatt Corporate Office
Pay Basis: Yearly
Job Level: Full-time
Job: Architecture/Design/Technical Services
Req ID: CHI009603
Hyatt is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, age, religion, disability, veteran status, genetic information, citizenship status or any other group protected by law.